Thursday, October 30, 2008

People Junkie

People pleasing is a dangerous business... especially in the business of comedy, and clean uplifting comedy at that. I don't even go so far as to say I'm a Christian comedian because I don't really do "church stuff" that much like Mark Lowry or Chonda Pierce do. I just make observations about humankind and because I am a Christian I want it to be uplifting and clean.
There is difficulty in that because the people who enjoy clean comedy, or the venues where it is presented are often church related venues. And church venues have not traditionally been places where laughter and quirky observations have always taken place. So.... you are left with a paradox of an audience that wants to laugh, but is not always sure how and when to, in my humble opinion.
So I seek, on a daily basis, to please both God in what He has given me in the way of humor and observation, and the audience I am dealing with who really need to laugh. I am trusting the Author of Laughter to help guide me and that's really all I can do.
What is the paradox you find yourself in today?

2 comments:

jubilee said...

The paradox I often find myself in is being a stay-at-home mom (and loving it) and wanting to escape from my children - at times.

I want to be a published writer and yet I am terrified of actually writing for fear of being rejected. Or realizing that the saying "Anyone with half a mind to write a book does" applies to me.

Was that too much information?

Joanna said...

Life and the never ending mountain of laundry. Please tell me I was created more than just making a casserole and folding clothes??

You nailed this one on the head. I've gotten into trouble over cracking a joke - at church. I'm such a rebel.